martes, 24 de agosto de 2010

kamut and barleycorn


After the big success with the pain a l'ancienne yesterday, i can't stop baking!. So after work today I wanted to try other type of bread so I check in Bertinet's book and I decided to follow his recipe for baguettes and already the white flour when I decided to experiment...very risky I'd say as I am kind of a beginner.

So looking in my flours I mixed kamut and bareycorn, both that I never use and decided to make the baguettes. Here is the recipe I used:

- 280g organic kamut flour
- 280g mix grain barleycorn flour
- 10g dried yeast
- 10g sea salt
- 350g water

I mixed the yeast with the flour and then added the rest of the ingredients with the scraper until the dough was firm enough to work with it in the table. I kneaded for about 20min and the left it resting for an hour in a bowl cover with a towel. After this hour the dough doubled and then I cut it in four and rolled it in baguettes, left them again another hour resting, where they doubled again.

This time I baked them at home, so no steam oven so I put a tray with water and spray water before put the bread: max oven at 240 degrees during approximately 12 min. The result was a compact bread but lots of nutty flavors, great smell.



Next day the bread was ok (actually I still have one baguette left and after 4 days it's quite good) so I took it to work to make my lunch: the bread won lots of flavors and textures when I toasted, so I put it back in the oven with some steam for a few minutes. I filled it up with some ginger pork, rocket, tomato and caramelized red onion, having spread olive oil in the bread. I have to say It was a really lovely lunch.

2 comentarios:

  1. Juan, vas como un tiro, ya con el kamut y formando baguettes como un auténtico profesional. Nos asalta una duda: ¿después de finiquitar tu anterior masa madre todavía no has criado una nueva? ¿Es por ello que has caído en los brazos de la dry yeast?

    Habrás observado que este comentario se hace utilizando la primera personal del plural. Sí, lo hacemos desde Granada, en un ordenador prestado (muy amablemente por Francis y Mª Ángeles) y a la espera de que las infraestructuras de comunicaciones disponibles en el remoto municipio granadino de Nívar permitan la incorporación definitiva de la tercera 'alimentadora' de este blog.

    Podemos adelantar que lo hará con material muy interesante producido ya en tierras granadinas. Que sepáis todos que aquí se cría un pan muy rico...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. si estoy como loco y no puedo parar de hacer pan, haría todos los días si tuviera un poco mas de tiempo, la verdad es que lo estoy disfrutando. por ahora el pain a l'ancienne es mi favorito por el sabor que se consigue y la facilidad con la que se usa para mojar en aceite: la ultima vez se fue un pan entero así. no apto para dietas. aunque ayer hice un pan de aceite de oliva y semillas de cardamomo que salió la verdad la mar de bien. muy esponjoso y rico de sabor, por cierto que gran parte lo usamos para hacer pan tumaca con el jamón que nos trajisteis. luego hago un post y pongo las fotos.
    sobre la masa madre si que empecé otra inmediatamente después del accidente con la anterior que hicimos y justo hace dos días estuvo lista y la metí en la nevera. ayer la saque para alimentarla y hoy poder hacer un rico pan todavía no se cual pero me apetece otro tipo hogaza. ya os contare.

    so

    ResponderEliminar